CONTAIN is aimed at specifying and demonstrating a European Shipping Containers Surveillance system in a global context which will encompass regulatory, policy and standardisation recommendations, new business models and advanced container security management capabilities.
The CONTAIN system will:
- Support transport security stakeholders in managing container security threats within logistic chains;
- Provide a coherent set of ‘best of breed’, cost effective and efficient technology options for container integrated sensor, communication and security hardware and software technologies;
- Enable ports and transport networks to establish cost effective upgraded container security processes;
- Provide added value to key investments;
- Provide appropriate information gathering, validation, fusion and situational awareness services to establish dependable near real time ‘corridor container traffic maps’;
- Enable the establishment of secure trade lanes;
- Assist policy makers at national and EU level to promote container security;
- Facilitate the further development of European standards.